With John Roome
Edition of 5: 1997
13.5″ x 10.25″ x 2.5″
Vloekboek is a perfectly sophomoric collaboration. The book grew out of a series of woodcut images collaboratively produced in Durban, South Africa in March ’97. Upon further inspection, the artists began to play with word puns, focusing on Afrikaans and its obscure richness. The black zipper binding along with the actual south African matchbox adds a boyish swagger to the book.
A translation of the Afrikaans:
- Vloekboek – Swear book
- Vuurhoutjies – Matches
- Bliksem! – Strike!, or Pow!
- Bokant jou vuurmaakplek – Above your fireplace, or, beyond your intelligence
- doosies – small boxes, or, pussy
- n’ pomp is n’ pomp is n’ pomp ou pellie – a pump is a pump is a pump, ole boy, or: a fuck is a fuck is a fuck, ole boy
- vuilgat and vuurgat – foul mouth and fire hole, or ass hole